Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What is normal

I was struck with a question the other day by someone asking me what was my disability. Don't get me wrong the question didn't offend me and I am fine with questions about my disability but what got me was my own explanation. I said "My arms and legs are dwarf sized and my body is normal"......what exactly is "normal. I have been alive for 18 years and not once have I ever met anyone who is "normal".

Webster defines normal as a : according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b : conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern 3 : occurring naturally. So I thought of everybody that I know and I could not find one person that fits this description. Everyone has some "deformity" via glasses, short, or other various things that are not in the norm.

This made me completely rethink everybody. The truth is we are all not normal. I used to hate this and wanted to be just like everybody else but being different is what makes me who I am. Yes it does make me sad when I like somebody and the only reason I'm not good enough for them is because I am different. But sometime(hopefully sooner than later) I will find the person who loves me for me. Flaws and all.

So my conclusion is that "normal" is just something that we say when we don't like being an individual. Personally I hope to NEVER be normal. I am coming to terms with being different and realizing its not that much of a bad thing. So I don't know about you but I for one will never again describe myself as normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment